Wednesday, July 28, 2010






July 28, 2010

Day 4 of Ragbrai – Clear Lake to Charles City, 51 miles

This was the relatively easy day, so we slept in until 7AM. Since we had my cousin’s cabin, we made a full breakfast with coffee. We didn’t take off until nearly 9AM and our mission today was to really take in the scenery.

There was a big thunderstorm during the night – it only lasted an hour, but it did its job. It dropped the temperature 20 degrees. So we took off on a cool, brilliant day with a cooling breeze out of the north. Perfect weather for biking.

Our first stop was to take in the party in Cartersville. This little town had set up a high tower and swing over the lake and biker’s were swinging into the lake. There was line dancing and games. There was also the customary really big tractors if you wanted to climb and explore. I found my fresh corn on a stick that was freshly picked and cooked. I had been waiting for the right moment to get this and it was great.

Today I did not see elliptical man or the dorkmobile (I must have been too late taking off), but did get to ride with the pirates who were quite into the spirit. We stopped at the Fossil and Prairie preserve outside of Rockford where I got my picture with fossil man. The sites were great. I then had lunch across the street at the farm hosting the Pastafari crew – best pasta I have eaten next to a cornfield.

We eventually cruised into Charles City about 3 PM which has the beautiful Cedar River running through it. I have never been to this town before. Our host family lived north of town in this gorgeous house (very unique). Kristen and Monika was impressed by the lake in the front yard. The family’s 11 year old daughter was excited about us staying. We took her with us downtown for the evening activities. So here I am at the Iowa Telecom WiFi spot doing my blog while Monika, Kristen, and Olivia wander the town. Olivia is showing them the real places. I found the most charming little art store to hang out in – the lady just teaches mosaic classes.

So what has it been like to be on a bike for 4 days? – it is okay since I have all day to do it. My new bike seat has been awesome and I have had almost no bottom pain. I am so glad I listened to the 14 year old salesperson. I am on a mission to be done the last 8 miles or so every day. My quads and thighs are quite sore every night, and I am always grateful to sit on a surface larger than my bottom. Luckily the weather has been outstanding and no rain. I still think it was a better idea than training for a marathon and definitely more fun. I can’t stand the huffing and puffing. It has been a great way to reflect on life.

So, I plan to watch the sunset over the lake at my host’s home and then to bed. Tomorrow is the longest day at 82 miles when we head to Waterloo, the largest stopover city of the week.

4 comments:

  1. What a great thing you are doing. We think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Comito- We hope you are having a great time riding across Iowa. And, we are so appreciative of what you do for our sweet children.
    We went across Iowa last week, but the easy way, by airplane. We thought about you and the bike ride you would soon be taking. I was hoping for cooler weather for your trip.
    Take care and know the Kretz's are thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wright's are cheering you on as you head towards the home stretch! Great support Kristen and Monika!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed! The pictures, the narratives, the journey.... Anxious to hear all about it when you return to us (ie: reality) Be safe!

    ReplyDelete